Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What Is The Meaning of Life?

Why are we here? What is the point of our existence? Upon a quick perusal of the Wikipedia article for this topic, one is bombarded with many different views. These are incredibly varied, from "To realize one's potential and dreams" to "To achieve biological perfection". On the surface, these seem like good things. After all, if one is born with amazing natural talent, shouldn't they work extremely hard to develop it and showcase it? If I cognitively realize how terrible the world is now, shouldn't I work extremely hard to make sure the next generation is better than this one?

What is the solution that each of these ideas reaches after? I believe it is ultimately the fulfillment of each individual. At the end of the day, if I can say I moved towards my meaning of life, and provided further reason for my continued existence, then I can look past all the bad that I have done, pat myself on the back, and try to do the same thing tomorrow. The only thing this really accomplishes is to release endorphins and make me happy. If all I try to do is realize my potential and dreams, I am solely working for me, making sure my priorities are above everyone else's. If all I try to do is achieve biological perfection, and try to make the next generation better, I know that everyone after me has me to thank for their great lives.

We can easily see that all of this is, in the end, amazingly self-centered. Everything we do, we do to get ourselves something. The problem is that we are inherently finite beings. We cannot know everything, do everything, see everything, feel everything, touch everything, or even live long enough to give ourselves the chance to try. Following any of Wikipedia's answers leads to ultimate failure.

What is the Christian's answer? What is the meaning of our lives?
 I have seen the business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with. He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end. I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil—this is God's gift to man. - Ecclesiastes 3:10-13
Our meaning in life, the point of our existence is to be joyful and do good. Doing these two things puts us in direct contrast with the world. Being joyful does nothing to make people cater to your needs. Doing good and serving oneself cannot both be done. If a Christian does not do these things, he puts his meaning of life in something else, something other than what he is called to.

Author Stephen Covey in his book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People writes that an effective person should begin with the end in mind. Basically, one should envision one's eulogy being read. What goes into it should determine what we do with our lives. If the Christian was to begin with the end in mind, he would center his life on being joyful and doing good. This is the only way to do what God has called us to do, and it also puts on a totally opposite path from the rest of the world.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Luke! Good post, but I think your answer isn't complete.
    "Our meaning in life, the point of our existence is to be joyful and do good. Doing these two things puts us in direct contrast with the world."
    America has philanthropists out the wazoo that "do good" and are joyful (having known sorrow themselves and worked out of it). Granted, this is debatable, given certain individuals, but the idea itself isn't uniquely Christian (See: Buddhists, Agnostics, every college kid who’s going to heaven because of good works and having the good’ol time while their at it)

    You mentioned Ecclesiastes. That is a good verse with valid points which God meant to be taken in context of his bigger story. When the New Testament comes around, the opportunities available to man change. There has been a complete sacrifice. This completes the purpose that Solomon left hanging in Ecclesiastes.

    Solomon went to the extreme on every pleasure, he was the wisest man in history, there was nothing he didn’t have a decent grasp on. One thing he didn’t have access to, however, was a Savior. Solomon wrote a world where everything decomposed into death, sorrow, and meaninglessness. Therefore, the brightest comment he could offer was to make the most of the situation, do good and be joyful. But he didn’t leave it at that. The Final verses seem to lead into New Testament which, I believe, complete his thoughts. Ecc 12:13 “Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole [duty] of man.”

    That is why I don’t think that answer is correct, it is taken from an incomplete logic train. I was mulling over this thought as well because the next post in my blog series is very similar to what you wrote here. If you interested, when it goes up, I would like to have your sense on my answer to the question.

    Meanwhile, something to think about I guess.

    Thanks for the Post Luke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would contend that doing good and being joyful are two things that the world cannot do. Sinful people with no reason for hope cannot be joyful. Sinful people without God cannot do good. Doing good would also include fearing God and keeping his commandments.

      Secondly, ever since God revealed himself to Abraham and Moses, the Jews had knowledge of a Savior. Their method of salvation was precisely the same as ours, given Galatians 3:6 "Consider Abraham: 'He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.'"

      Bottom line, I think this is a false conflict at its core, unless you don't agree that fearing God and keeping his commandments includes being joyful and doing good.

      Delete
    2. Your thesis is like a subpoint under "glorify[ing] God and enjoy[ing] Him forever": it regards the here-and-now of what it means to glorify God in life.

      Delete

Hey guys! Feel free to comment, but any profane/obscene comments *will* be deleted.